Don’t Divorce Me! An HBO Special
Late night browsing on HBO recently brought me to a refreshing and wonderfully honest documentary on kids of divorce. The 30-minute film focuses on children who have recently gone through divorce – it asks them questions and captures their honest and candid responses. So much wonderful information can be gleaned form children. They offer unique perspectives on the realities they face. Even more refreshingly, they offer unique insights and rules for their parents.
As always, children can guide parents through these tough transitions and help them move forward in ways that really matter to kids. Indeed, these little minds are often more grounded and reflective in their views than their parents.
Some of the many words of wisdom from this documentary, are:
- Keep reminding me this isn’t my fault – I need to hear it over and over again.
- Be honest with me – talk to me honestly. I can handle it or I will le tyou know if I can’t.
- Don’t put me in the middle, but remember I am important.
- Don’t have me spy – get your own information.
- There is not a big bright side of things – but try to look on the bright side. Point out to me the things that are good out of this and why I will be okay.
- I miss my other parent in my heart. Know this and keep it in mind.
- Give us more love than we need.
Don’t Divorce Me! Trailer
If you have children and are contemplating divorce, check out Don’t Divorce Me! Kids’ Rules for their Parent’s Divorce
on HBO ON DEMAND or www.hbogo.com
More Collaborative Law Posts