- Certified copies. You should obtain a certified copy (official) of the divorce decree for your records.
- Notice of Entry. Your attorney will draft a Notice of Entry to confirm everyone is aware of the entry and final outcome.
- Assets should be divided. If you agreed to split bank accounts, pay off debt, or pay an equalizer to finalize a property settlement, these things should be divided and paid off.
- Vehicle titles can be transferred. You can sign over the title on vehicles as outlined in your agreement. This can usually be finalized without attorney work.
- Real estate title transfer. A quit claim deed or order from the court (called a Summary Real Estate Disposition Judgment) can be recorded with the county real estate office to transfer title in your real estate.
- Retirement division. Some retirement accounts can be divided with notification from the clients. Other accounts, specifically 401k’s, 403b’s and pensions usually need an order from the court to divide. This order is called a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). A lawyer usually drafts this order.